Sunday, February 28, 2010

A New Family Tradition


A few months ago, dragging Matt and Owen along with me to secure Craigslist treasures was guilt provoking. Although neither of them would ever complain, I always felt like I was sacrificing part of their weekend endulging my furniture addiction. But lately, it has become such a nice part of our weekends together that it is becoming more of a family tradition in the making than anything else. I think all three of us will look back on these days when Owen is older with fond memories of "it's a tunnel mommy and daddy...raise your arms!" (roller coaster style) and Matt and I discussing the latest music we are listening to on sirius.

Today was one of our typical drives, but sometimes you just get more than your bargain for, literally. Not only did we pick up the two cane chairs I posted earlier, which are in FABULOUS condition, I also scored the cutest chair for the ridiculous price of $15, plus a large yellow lamp for $7.



The women we met were so sweet, talking about their mother in law who originally owned the pieces. What never ceases to amaze me is the condition in which I find many of these pieces. The cane chairs are over 40 years old and it barely looks like they were used. There is something about older generations that really understood what it meant to respect and appreciate their possessions. You just don't see that anymore; people are so used to using and abusing things today and throwing them away for something new. I take a lot of pride in finding these older, beautiful pieces and sharing in the long tradition of care.

Furniture, just like people, are more precious when they have a story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment