Sunday, March 7, 2010

Staining an Old Bench

Tara, this one goes out to you! We could all use friends like Tara. Every few days, she sends me a link on facebook about a piece of bargain furniture I need to check out. She knows my taste! This was one of her treasures. A 150 year old footstool (I call it a bench) selling for $50. After a few email conversations with the seller, I was able to purchase it for $40.00 I'm not the best negotiator, but when I saw how easy it would be to re-cover, I didn't mind. Matt was not impressed when I brought it home. It was very unsturdy, and couldn't really be used:
And that begs the reason why Matt had to join in my re-do. After Matt took the entire thing apart, we set to work on individually hand-sanding each piece. With all the grooves and fine detail, it was a chore:

Once it was sanded and cleaned, Matt put it back together using new screws and wood glue to make it functional again. Promising the last owner that I would at least consider staining it back to its original color before painting it, I did exactly that. Using a dark honey walnut, I stained the base outside today. It's amazing how a little bit of sunshine and 40 degrees feels like summer in Pittsburgh after such a long, snowy February, but it was great to feel warmth on my face again. Here is the piece stained, and here is the new fabric. If you remember my lampshade project a few months back, the fabric is probably familiar. Guess I had spring on my mind indeed. Once we move, I'll recover it again in a large geometric print. After all, furniture that lasts 150 years deserves a few different makeovers in its lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. omg i love this SO much. fantastic work, angie! seriously. and look at this cute blog layout. seems finn has disrupted my ability to get any project done...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you find this stuff?!? Impressive work!!

    ReplyDelete